Kiwanis International empowers people at every stage of life to become competent, capable, and compassionate leaders by helping them learn to help others. Through its Service Leadership Programs, Kiwanis teaches young leaders new ways to change the world by serving one child and one community at a time.
We define Service Leadership as the next step beyond service learning. Once a young person fully understands the concept of learning by helping others, he or she begins to grow personally as a leader.
When your club is sponsoring a Service Leadership Program, these SLPs, as well as the adviser/sponsors from your club may be listed on the Secretary Dashboard.
To list and update your advisers:
1. Find the Sponsorships area of the Secretary Dashboard - toward the bottom of the page, just below club officers and committee chairs.
The green circle on the far right side of the club which is being sponsored indicates that the sponsored club is active and in good standing.
If the circle is red, this indicates there is a problem with the sponsored club's membership, and the sponsoring club should check in to help resolve any problems in membership status.
2. Locate the club for which there is no adviser/sponsor listed, and click on the icon to the right.
3. The "Add Adviser" box will open. Begin typing the club member name in the text box. The member name (or list of closely related names) will appear in the box. Select the correct name, then click the "Submit" button.
4. The adviser/sponsor name should now be listed next to the sponsored club.
5. Background checks are required for all adviser/sponsors. Click on the information icon next to "Background check" and you will see the following information:
For help with completing a background check for members, please visit:
6. Once a background check has been completed for an adviser/sponsor, check the box next to "Background check" to report that the process has been completed.
A message will appear at the top of the page informing you that the SLP Adviser status has been saved.